As temperatures skyrocket this summer, don’t forget about keeping your dog cool. Whether your dog spends most of his time outdoors or indoors, these tips are important for the health and wellbeing of every pooch.
- Check and refill water bowls a couple times a day. It’s hot! Your dog’s going to pant more and drink more. Watch for signs of dehydration: An overheated dog will drool excessively, become lethargic and have bloodshot eyes. If your dog lives outside, it might be smart to invest in an automatic dog waterer.
- Provide shade from the sun so you dog has a cool place to get out of the heat. If you don’t have air conditioning, be innovative. Cesarsway.com suggests investing in a kiddie pool, setting up a fan in front of a pan of ice or misting your dog with sprinklers. If you have a white or lighter-colored dog, you might have to apply sunscreen to the tops of his ears and nose to help prevent sunburn.
- Exercise early or later to avoid the hottest part of the day and keep your dog’s paws from burning on the pavement—or from overheating. If you have to walk during the hottest part of the day, bring water for your dog. You might even purchase doggie boots at your local pet store to protect his feet.
- Spray your pup with water to cool him off quickly. Because dogs cool from the bottom up, spray his paws and belly first. Water is a dog’s best friend during the summer. So look for opportunities to swim!
- Never leave your dog in the car, not even with the windows down and water to drink. According to PETA, on a 78-degree day, the temperature in a parked car can reach 100 to 120 degrees in just minutes. On a 90-degree day, try 160 degrees in less than 10 minutes. Animals can die from heatstroke or sustain brain damage from such high temperatures.
By Deanna Morono
Fluffs of Luv Pet Care offers an array of customized pet care services, including in home pet sitting, dog walking, cat only pet sitting, overnight visits and Cat and Dog Grooming. As the most reputable pet sitters and dog walkers in Charlotte and the surrounding area, Fluffs of Luv has put countless clients at ease by caring for their cherished companions while they were away. Give Fluffs of Luv a call for a free in home consultation 704-421-3492 or visit www.fluffsofluv.com.